A swimmer achieving their maximum potential and enjoyment from the sport is dependent upon a number of factors and the parent/guardian undoubtedly has a key role to play.
One key area is establishing a successful coach/parent/guardian partnership for the benefit of the swimmer.
The following details the key requirements to be met by Tigersharks parents/guardians in that partnership. It should be read in conjunction with the Coaching Team’s Code of Ethics/Conduct.
All Tigersharks parents/guardians will strive to follow this framework:
- Parents/Guardians and Coaches will develop an open and honest relationship.
- Parents/Guardians and Coaches will hold discussions about swimmers, with and without swimmers being present, away from poolside and in confidence.
- Parents/Guardians and Coaches will agree what information is confidential and will not divulge such information to a third party without prior agreement.
- Parents/Guardians will not go onto poolside during training sessions unless asked by the Coach to do so.
- Parents/Guardians will never criticise the Coach in front of the swimmer, as it is vital that the swimmer has faith and trust in the Coach.
- Parents/Guardians who have an unresolved disagreement and/or grievance with a Coach, other parent or official must refer the dispute to either the Club Coach or Chairman. The initial report can be verbal but it must be followed up in writing.
- Parents/Guardians will ensure that Coaches are made aware of any illness or injuries and medication.
- Parents/Guardians will ensure that Coaches are informed if swimmers are unable to attend training or swim in a competition.
- Parents/Guardians will ensure swimmers arrive in good time for training and competitions with the right kit, equipment, food and drink.
- Parents/Guardians and Coaches will put the safety and well being of the swimmer above all else at all times.